So the other day I have come a crossed an interesting document that is by someone by the name of Henry A. Wallace. Now if you are unfamiliar with the man, then you are probably unfamiliar with anything regarding the second world war. Because he was the 33rd Vice President of The United States. And seeing this document is quite astounding from a man of such high caliber in that time period.
Henry A Wallace’s Wikipedia
This document fundamentally lay’s out the dangers of fascism. And how it will pose a threat in the future of The United States. This is an extracted article straight out of the New York Times. I have copy and pasted the entire article below so you can read it.
The Danger of American Fascism
Henry A. Wallace
- An article in the New York Times, April 9, 1944.
From Henry A. Wallace, Democracy Reborn (New York, 1944), edited by Russell Lord, p. 259.
- An article in the New York Times, April 9, 1944.
- On returning from my trip to the West in February, I received a request from The New York Times to write a piece answering the following questions:
- What is a fascist?
- How many fascists have we?
- How dangerous are they?
- A fascist is one whose lust for money or power is combined with such an intensity of intolerance toward those of other races, parties, classes, religions, cultures, regions or nations as to make him ruthless in his use of deceit or violence to attain his ends. The supreme god of a fascist, to which his ends are directed, may be money or power; may be a race or a class; may be a military, clique or an economic group; or may be a culture, religion, or a political party.
- The perfect type of fascist throughout recent centuries has been the Prussian Junker, who developed such hatred for other races and such allegiance to a military clique as to make him willing at all times to engage in any degree of deceit and violence necessary to place his culture and race astride the world. In every big nation of the world are at least a few people who have the fascist temperament. Every Jew-baiter, every Catholic hater, is a fascist at heart. The hoodlums who have been desecrating churches, cathedrals and synagogues in some of our larger cities are ripe material for fascist leadership.
- The obvious types of American fascists are dealt with on the air and in the press. These demagogues and stooges are fronts for others. Dangerous as these people may be, they are not so significant as thousands of other people who have never been mentioned. The really dangerous American fascists are not those who are hooked up directly or indirectly with the Axis. The FBI has its finger on those. The dangerous American fascist is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power.
- If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States. There are probably several hundred thousand if we narrow the definition to include only those who in their search for money and power are ruthless and deceitful. Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort. They are doing this even in those cases where they hope to have profitable connections with German chemical firms after the war ends. They are patriotic in time of war because it is to their interest to be so, but in time of peace they follow power and the dollar wherever they may lead.
- American fascism will not be really dangerous until there is a purposeful coalition among the cartelists, the deliberate poisoners of public information, and those who stand for the K.K.K. type of demagoguery.
- The European brand of fascism will probably present its most serious postwar threat to us via Latin America. The effect of the war has been to raise the cost of living in most Latin American countries much faster than the wages of labor. The fascists in most Latin American countries tell the people that the reason their wages will not buy as much in the way of goods is because of Yankee imperialism. The fascists in Latin America learn to speak and act like natives. Our chemical and other manufacturing concerns are all too often ready to let the Germans have Latin American markets, provided the American companies can work out an arrangement which will enable them to charge high prices to the consumer inside the United States. Following this war, technology will have reached such a point that it will be possible for Germans, using South America as a base, to cause us much more difficulty in World War III than they did in World War II. The military and landowning cliques in many South American countries will find it attractive financially to work with German fascist concerns as well as expedient from the standpoint of temporary power politics.
- Fascism is a worldwide disease. Its greatest threat to the United States will come after the war, either via Latin America or within the United States itself.
- Still another danger is represented by those who, paying lip service to democracy and the common welfare, in their insatiable greed for money and the power which money gives, do not hesitate surreptitiously to evade the laws designed to safeguard the public from monopolistic extortion. American fascists of this stamp were clandestinely aligned with their German counterparts before the war, and are even now preparing to resume where they left off, after “the present unpleasantness” ceases:
- The symptoms of fascist thinking are colored by environment and adapted to immediate circumstances. But always and everywhere they can be identified by their appeal to prejudice and by the desire to play upon the fears and vanities of different groups in order to gain power. It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice. It may be shocking to some people in this country to realize that, without meaning to do so, they hold views in common with Hitler when they preach discrimination against other religious, racial or economic groups. Likewise, many people whose patriotism is their proudest boast play Hitler’s game by retailing distrust of our Allies and by giving currency to snide suspicions without foundation in fact.
- The American fascists are most easily recognized by their deliberate perversion of truth and fact. Their newspapers and propaganda carefully cultivate every fissure of disunity, every crack in the common front against fascism. They use every opportunity to impugn democracy. They use isolationism as a slogan to conceal their own selfish imperialism. They cultivate hate and distrust of both Britain and Russia. They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection.
- Several leaders of industry in this country who have gained a new vision of the meaning of opportunity through co-operation with government have warned the public openly that there are some selfish groups in industry who are willing to jeopardize the structure of American liberty to gain some temporary advantage. We all know the part that the cartels played in bringing Hitler to power, and the rule the giant German trusts have played in Nazi conquests. Monopolists who fear competition and who distrust democracy because it stands for equal opportunity would like to secure their position against small and energetic enterprise. In an effort to eliminate the possibility of any rival growing up, some monopolists would sacrifice democracy itself.
- It has been claimed at times that our modern age of technology facilitates dictatorship. What we must understand is that the industries, processes, and inventions created by modern science can be used either to subjugate or liberate. The choice is up to us. The myth of fascist efficiency has deluded many people. It was Mussolini’s vaunted claim that he “made the trains run on time.” In the end, however, he brought to the Italian people impoverishment and defeat. It was Hitler’s claim that he eliminated all unemployment in Germany. Neither is there unemployment in a prison camp.
- Democracy to crush fascism internally must demonstrate its capacity to “make the trains run on time.” It must develop the ability to keep people fully employed and at the same time balance the budget. It must put human beings first and dollars second. It must appeal to reason and decency and not to violence and deceit. We must not tolerate oppressive government or industrial oligarchy in the form of monopolies and cartels. As long as scientific research and inventive ingenuity outran our ability to devise social mechanisms to raise the living standards of the people, we may expect the liberal potential of the United States to increase. If this liberal potential is properly channeled, we may expect the area of freedom of the United States to increase. The problem is to spend up our rate of social invention in the service of the welfare of all the people.
- The worldwide, agelong struggle between fascism and democracy will not stop when the fighting ends in Germany and Japan. Democracy can win the peace only if it does two things:
- Speeds up the rate of political and economic inventions so that both production and, especially, distribution can match in their power and practical effect on the daily life of the common man the immense and growing volume of scientific research, mechanical invention and management technique.
- Vivifies with the greatest intensity the spiritual processes which are both the foundation and the very essence of democracy.
- The moral and spiritual aspects of both personal and international relationships have a practical bearing which so-called practical men deny. This dullness of vision regarding the importance of the general welfare to the individual is the measure of the failure of our schools and churches to teach the spiritual significance of genuine democracy. Until democracy in effective enthusiastic action fills the vacuum created by the power of modern inventions, we may expect the fascists to increase in power after the war both in the United States and in the world.
- Fascism in the postwar inevitably will push steadily for Anglo-Saxon imperialism and eventually for war with Russia. Already American fascists are talking and writing about this conflict and using it as an excuse for their internal hatreds and intolerances toward certain races, creeds and classes.
- It should also be evident that exhibitions of the native brand of fascism are not confined to any single section, class or religion. Happily, it can be said that as yet fascism has not captured a predominant place in the outlook of any American section, class or religion. It may be encountered in Wall Street, Main Street or Tobacco Road. Some even suspect that they can detect incipient traces of it along the Potomac. It is an infectious disease, and we must all be on our guard against intolerance, bigotry and the pretension of invidious distinction. But if we put our trust in the common sense of common men and “with malice toward none and charity for all” go forward on the great adventure of making political, economic and social democracy a practical reality, we shall not fail.
Original source of the document:
Now what do I personally feel about this document and the things that Mr Wallace had to say. Well he was very spot on about a lot of the things that where going on in the time period. And he was spot on about the things that where going to happen in the coming months, and years after the second world war. And it is very hard to believe in the modern day that he essentially predicted the future of The United States in just one article written by the New York Times in the 1940’s. It almost makes you think that coming from a creditable source that something is not right in the modern world.
The dangers of Fascism are very distinct, because the fact is that fascist thinking has no race or national flag. And this almost makes as, like Mr Wallace said in Section 10;
The symptoms of fascist thinking are colored by environment and adapted to immediate circumstances. But always and everywhere they can be identified by their appeal to prejudice and by the desire to play upon the fears and vanities of different groups in order to gain power. It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice. It may be shocking to some people in this country to realize that, without meaning to do so, they hold views in common with Hitler when they preach discrimination against other religious, racial or economic groups. Likewise, many people whose patriotism is their proudest boast play Hitler’s game by retailing distrust of our Allies and by giving currency to snide suspicions without foundation in fact.
A fascist is defined by a way someone thinks and presents themselves. And fascists are very hateful, and very prejudice people generally. We can even use someone like Stephen Harper, and the Harper Government as an example here. Because they are very ideological in the ways of how they present themselves. They are pro-war, pro-genocide, pro-industrialist, anti-immigrant, anti-women, fear mongers. That prey on the innocence of people that are afraid of the boogiemen that they themselves have created. You can also use George Bush as an example of this also, because he shares a lot of the same views and believe as Stephen Harper. And notice that both of them are ultra-conservative right wingers.
A group like the Ku-Klux-Klan are considered ultra-conservative right winger organization. And they are the most notorious in the United States for some of the most atrocious hate crimes in the 20th Century. And if someone who had ties to the Ku-Klux-Klan was running for President or even City Counsel has really relatively no chance of winning. Because of the fact is that, the Ku-Klux-Klan can be considered a fascist organization.
Now lets look at Section 8 of Mr Wallace’s article in the New York Times.
Fascism is a worldwide disease. Its greatest threat to the United States will come after the war, either via Latin America or within the United States itself.
Fascism is global, it has no national origin or flag. Many people do identify the Nazi’s as fascists, and they think because the Nazi’s have been whipped out. That ideologies like Fascism had been defeated. This is simply untrue, because it is the greatest threat in the modern era. And because people have become so ignorant of the facts regarding all of this, it had taken over the United States and Canada. And this type of thinking and this type of ideology does corrupt people. And this type of thinking endangers societies, and this type of thinking makes societies into brutal dictatorships.
The American fascists are most easily recognized by their deliberate perversion of truth and fact. Their newspapers and propaganda carefully cultivate every fissure of disunity, every crack in the common front against fascism. They use every opportunity to impugn democracy. They use isolationism as a slogan to conceal their own selfish imperialism. They cultivate hate and distrust of both Britain and Russia. They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection.
The aspect of propaganda and censorship plays a big role in fascism in today’s times. Because the fact is that there is hateful and distrusting propaganda circulating throughout the media today to serve their agenda.
This is a conservative advertisement that is propagating the whole campaign against immigrants. And is promoting the distrust of people who choose to immigrate to Canada. Wasn’t Canada at one time, one of the only countries in the world that did not promote the distrust of immigrants and people who wanted to escape the persecution of their homelands. To live in Canada in security and in peace?
An American propaganda fear advertisement, that is luring the distrust of illegal immigrants.
The perversion of truth and fact is quite evident in these two advertisements. The immigration rate has remained consistent in Canada for the last 5 years.
And the illegal immigration rate is not that high, and it should not be an issue to begin with. Because if you want to keep illegal immigrants out of the country, just lock up the borders and keep high security. But that actually causes more issues than it solves, because millions and billions of tax payer dollars that should go to, education,health care, info-structure. Are going to instead go directly into defense, and then we are going to have an issue like the United States. Where most of our budget consists of building our Army up to protect ourselves from an unlikely threat. And waste a lot of time and money, to go and try to prevent an impossible issue that should not even be prevalent. But rather than, have our money go to things like our education,health care, and info-structure of our cities and provinces
The perversion of truth is also evident in the American argument. Because in the New York Times, and article written in 2008 suggests that the illegail immigration rate had dropped.
And this is just a small percentage of the lies that are being produced by the fascists that run our countries. I don’t think it makes sense to prevent people to be able to immigrate to different countries. Because most of the people who typically immigrate to our lands are not the racist stereo-types that have been produced. Most are hardworking, freedom loving people looking to live in a country that respects their rights and existence as human beings. People should not be so distrusting of their neighbors that come from foreign lands. But rather than embrace that they are coming from foreign lands. To come and make our countries, better and stronger societies. If people are so worried about these people taking their jobs. Then something like Free Trade should be eliminated in The United States and Canada. Because this allows corporations to ship our jobs out to different countries, to get products produced for cheaper employment wages. That is the thing that is stealing our jobs, not the people looking for work in our countries.
The fascist propaganda machine is run off of the fears and insecurities of people. And if you choose to live a life of fear, then you will face the fate as the people of Germany faced with the Third Reich. But instead of being in Germany, you will be in America and Canada. And instead of the Third Reich you will be living in the Fourth Reich. Because that is the indisputable future of our societies, unless people do not band together and fight the beast known as fascism. Not with hate and intolerance, but with love and unity.
This applies to all countries, and all nations. This is a global effort, I use America and Canada as my two prime examples. Because these two countries are in desperate need today to be saved from the beast known as fascism.
And as Henry A. Wallace said in the final section of his article.
But if we put our trust in the common sense of common men and “with malice toward none and charity for all” go forward on the great adventure of making political, economic and social democracy a practical reality, we shall not fail.